Jewelry design tips:
You want to design a new jewelry piece, so you sit down...and wait for a wave of ideas to come. So how do you come up with a design, develop it, and let the creativity flow?
You already have millions of designs imbedded in your mind. Your brain stores everything you have ever seen, and an idea usually springs forth from these previous experiences and memories. Build your creative ability by collecting ideas wherever you go. This is quite easy in our information filled age where images and ideas are only a click away. Look at designs whenever you can. Collecting designs doesn’t mean you have to copy them, but sometimes you only need a small glimpse of a design to come up with something dynamic and creative.
Inspiration can come from so many things not only jewelry pieces itself.
There are no rules for designing jewelry but only guidelines:
- Design something you like, and develop your own style and touch. If you don’t know what your style is, get a sketchbook and draw some designs you have seen and liked. Now you can alter these designs and make them your own. You don’t need to be an artist to do this. Everytime I see an interesting design I draw it in my sketchbook thereby expanding my collection of ideas. I promise you my drawings are not always that of an artist!
- You can use different types, textures and sizes of beads in one design. For eg. Crystals, pearls and gemstones combined in one piece will make an interesting design.
- Choose color combinations to create harmony and unity in your design.
- Keep your design functional, you must be able to wear it! li>
- Use your jewelry findings creatively. Spacer beads, bead caps, connectors, jump rings etc. can just be the magic ingredient you need to add a touch of class. li>
- There must be an element of balance in your design. That doesn’t mean you can’t create something asymmetrical. When you look at a design it either feels good on the eye or it doesn’t. All the elements in the design must be in harmony and they must compliment each other.
- Use beads you love and the design process will flow automatically.
- Consider the weight of your beads when constructing your design, because you have to select the right type of stringing material for the weight of your beads.
- All the jewelry making components must be in proportion. Beads and findings are available in a variety of sizes. Make sure you select corresponding sizes.
- If you design a piece with a focal point, it should stand out and draw your attention first.
- The more you know the more you can create...Keep on looking and learning!
- Never underestimate your own creativity.
Remember creativity needs to be nurtured. You may struggle coming up with original, creative ideas in the beginning but after a bit of practice the ideas will start flowing. Before you know it you'll be designing jewelry pieces fit for a display window!
Return from Jewelry design tips to Home page