How to make cascade earrings:
The two large briolette beads are the focus of these crystal cascade earrings.
Choose smaller beads with a color combination that compliments your large briolette beads.
If you are a beginner, you will need extra wire for practicing your briolette wrap a few times.
What you need:
- 2 crystal briolettes of your choice (I’ve used 16mm long yellow briolette crystals)
- 12 bicone crystal beads (4mm)
- 4 small white/cream pearls (approx. 5mm)
- belcher or curb chain with links of 2mm, you will need approx. 6cm of it
- 0.6mm (22 gauge) wire, 17cm long
- 2 french hook earring wires
- round nose pliers
- chain nose pliers
- wire cutter
- safety glasses
1. Slide a large crystal briolette bead onto the end of your 0.6mm wire. Fold both sides across each other to form a triangular shape. Use your chain nose pliers to bend the wire so that it’s central to the crystal bead. Cut the shortest wire 2mm above the fold.
2. Grip the longest wire with your round nose pliers right above the cut. Bend the wire to an 80 degrees angle. Fold the tail of the wire around the upper nose of your pliers to form a loop. Release your pliers and slide one end of your chain onto the open loop.
3. Grip the loop with your chain nose pliers. Use your free hand to bend the wire around the neck of the loop. Try to wrap it without leaving gaps. Stop wrapping when you’ve reached the top of the crystal bead.
4. Cut off the excess wire with your wire cutters. Use your chain nose pliers to press down the scratchy end.
5. Slide 4 pearls and 12 crystal bicone beads onto headpins.
6. Use your hand to bend each headpin right above the bead to an 80 degrees angle. Grip the headpin as close to the bead as possible. Bend the rest of the headpin clockwise around the nose of your pliers to form a loop. Follow this technique to make loops for all the headpins.
7. Open the loops of all the headpins using your round or chain nose pliers.
8. Attach a crystal on either side of the briolette-loop. Make sure you close the loops of the crystals completely. You are now going to attach 2 beads to on either side of the chain for the next 5 links in the following order: 2 crystals, 2 pearls, 2 crystals, 2 pearls, 2 crystals.
9. Open the loop of your French hook earring wire. Slide the next open chain link onto the earring wire and close it properly. You can cut off the excess chain. Finally, attach the last 2 crystals onto the loop of your earring wire (one on each side).
Congratulations, your cascade earrings are now ready to wear!
Return from Cascade earrings to Earring projects