October 2008, Issue 001
Heart to heart
Welcome to the October issue of Jewelry Making News!
Thank you for subscribing to my newsletter. I hope you will find some valuable information in this issue.
One thing all our beaders have in common, is that we are always on the lookout for new designs, ideas and of course beautiful beads. I recently went on a visit to South Africa, and discovered a cute little bead shop in Pretoria selling the most beautiful beads and findings. I saw a heart pendant and knew my sister would love it! I bought her the pendant, a chain necklace, a bail and some jump rings. We sat down that evening and I showed her how to make the necklace herself. I timed her and it took her less than a minute. All she had to do was
1. to slide the bail onto the chain
2. open the jump ring and attach it to the bail
3. slide the heart onto the jump ring
4. and close the jump ring. Voila!
She had so many compliments that she went back to the same bead shop to buy more beads and findings to make jewelry for her entire wardrobe. Needless to say, she’s hooked on beading for life! You can see her necklace in the photo below (if your e-mail software can read html).
Heart pendants and charms are one of the latest jewelry trends. Add it to a beaded necklace, charm bracelet, toggle clasp or even a pearl bracelet or necklace. It can change the whole look of a piece of jewelry.
I’ve used some 12mm glass pearls to create the chunky pearl bracelet in the photo above (you'll be able to see the photo if your e-mail software can read html). I had so many requests for making some pearl jewelry in the last month, it seems like a ‘pearly’ present might just be the thing for Christmas. I’ve included an easy pearl earring project in this issue that will take you less than 5 minutes to make! One afternoon and you will have presents for all the ladies this Christmas.
5 Minute pearl earrings
What you need:
- 20 cm (8 inches) Tiger tail or any other bead stringing wire (I prefer tiger tail for this project because it is quite stiff
- 4 pearls or other beads, (10mm or smaller)
- crimp beads
- crimping pliers
- 2 earring hooks
1. Cut off 8,5 cm (approx. 3 ¼ inch) of tiger tail. Slide your earring hook onto it. Slide a crimp bead onto both ends of the tiger tail. Move the crimp up to the earring wire. One side of the tiger tail must be slightly longer than the other one.
2. Use your crimping pliers to press the crimp bead into a tiny ball. If you’re not sure how to do this, have a look at the page http://www.how-to-make-beaded-jewelry.com/crimping-pliers.html
3. Slide a pearl onto one end of the tiger tail. Slide a crimp bead onto the same end of the tiger tail and crimp it with your crimping pliers.
4. Do the same on the other side of the tiger tail. You’re all done!
You can make the earrings shorter or longer depending on your taste.
Recommended bead store of the month:
Divas Beads for all your Bead, Beading and Jewellery needs
Divas Beads offers a huge selection of the worlds finest beads,pendants and hand-made jewellery.
New jewelry making projects from my website:
NEW! Knotted pearl necklace
NEW! Cascade earrings
If you have a question, something to say or you would like some of your designs to feature in one of the issues, contact me
For those who would like to share an article or photos, I will add a link to your blog or website if you have one. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
May you have a great time beading your way through October!